When creating or editing an assignment, you can assign an assignment to a specific course section. You can also set different due and availability dates for a section within an assignment that is assigned to the rest of the class. Availability date functionality is still available for each assignment.
Only the section(s) specified in the assignment details can view the assignment.
When using differentiated assignments with the Gradebook, the assignment appears as a column for all students, but grade cells are grayed out for students who have not been included in the assignment. Grades cannot be assigned for students who have not been included in the assignment, and assignments that are not assigned to a student are not factored into overall grades.
When Multiple Grading Periods are enabled in a course, assignments are also respected against closed grading periods.
Note: If multiple due dates apply to a student, Canvas will assign the latest due date to the student. For example, if a student's individual due date is November 18 and the section due date is November 20, the student will be assigned a due date of November 20.
Add Assignment Details
Type the assignment title in the Assignment Name field . If you created your assignment as an assignment shell, this field will be populated for you, but you can change it if necessary.
Use the Rich Content Editor to add images, text, links, equations, or insert media.
- When a document is uploaded to the New Rich Content Editor from an assignment, the file is saved to the Uploaded Media folder in Course Files and defaults to hidden status. Students can view the file when the assignment is made available to them. Learn more about file availability.
- When an assignment is created with no description, the assignment description displays default text explaining no additional details were added for the assignment.
Assign Different Dates to Section
By default, Canvas will set your assignment for everyone in your course. To add another section with a different due and availability dates, click the Add button . Then start to type the name of the section in the new Assign to field . Search fields are dynamic, and you can search by any part of the section name. Click the section's name when it appears. Lists are not scrollable.
You can include more than one section in the Assign to field as long as the sections are to be assigned the same due and availability dates.
Assign to Section Only
To create the assignment that is assigned only to a specific section, click the Remove icon next to the Everyone label .
Start to type the name of a section in the Assign to field . Click the section's name when it appears .
Edit Due and Availability Dates
In the date fields, add your preferred date(s) with the following options:
- Due : Set the date and time that the assignment is due. The due date will already be populated for you if you created an assignment shell, but you can change it if necessary.
- Available From : Set the date and time when the assignment will become available.
- Until : Set the date and time when the assignment will no longer be available.
Note: Beneath the Due Date and Availability date fields, Canvas will display the time zone date and time according to context. If you manage courses in a time zone other than your local time zone and create or edit a due date for an assignment, the course and local times are displayed for reference.
You can also delete additional dates by clicking the remove icon next to the appropriate date.
Save and Publish
If you are ready to publish your assignment, click the Save & Publish button . If you want to create a draft of your assignment and publish it later, click the Save button .
View Due Date Warning
If you do not add all course sections to the assignment, you will see a warning message asking you if you want to add those sections.
You can click the Continue button  if you don't want to add any other sections to the assignment or click the Go Back button  to go back and add additional sections.
Note: This warning message will not appear if everyone or all course sections are assigned to the assignment.
View Date Error
If you submit an invalid string of due dates and try to save the assignment, Canvas generates an error notification. Such invalid entries include not unlocking the assignment before it is due, not placing the due date inside the range of availability dates, or assigning a date that is outside the course or term dates.
Correct the date and then update the assignment again.
- If the course does not include specified course start and end dates, Canvas validates the assignment against the term date set for the course.
- If your course is using Multiple Grading Periods, the Assign field validates the due date against the closed grading period and requires the assignment date to be past the date of the closed grading period.
View Assignment Dates
View the dates and users assigned to the assignment.
View Assignments Page
On the Assignments Index Page, the assignment shows there are multiple users and dates assigned to the assignment. Hover over the text to view date availability.